Bristol parents warned of rumours of student violence after ‘murder’ of Mikey Roynon

Concerns relate to rumours students plan to travel from Bristol to Bath to ‘engage in violence’
Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

Police have written to school leaders in Bristol over ‘rumours’ students plan to ‘engage in violence’ with students in Bath following their GCSE exams. Bristol Police Commander Supt Mark Runacres said concerns had heightened following the death of Mikey Roynon in Bath on Saturday.

The teenager from Kingswood died from a single stab wound at a party attended by between 50 and 60 people in Eastfield Avenue in Bath. Two boys, a 16-year-old from Wiltshire and a 15-year-old from Dorset, are being questioned by detectives over Mikey’s death.

Yesterday, police discovered a knife in the surrounding area as the murder investigation continues in the Weston area of Bath. Meanwhile, a letter from Supt Runacres has revealed parent concerns over a violent exchange being planned in Bath following Mikey’s death.

Supt Runacres wrote: “I am contacting you in my capacity as Bristol Police Commander, having been  made aware of concerns relating to rumours of year 11 students from schools in  Bristol planning to travel to Bath to engage in violence with students from  schools there, as their GCSE exams are completed.

“You will appreciate that following the tragic events that played out in Eastfield  Avenue, Bath last Saturday night, any such rumours will cause heightened  concern, particularly for parents.”

He said police patrols would be deployed to ‘specific locations’ this week, and that officers would be based near schools to engage with pupils, staff and parents over any concerns they have.

He also urged parents of children completing their GCSEs to ‘maintain an oversight of their plans’ to celebrate the milestone, and to report any concerns about young people carrying knives to police.

Police at the scene of the murder in Eastfield Avenue in BathPolice at the scene of the murder in Eastfield Avenue in Bath
Police at the scene of the murder in Eastfield Avenue in Bath

The letter sent to headteachers has also been circulated to parents.

Around 50 to 60 people were inside the property when Mikey was attacked police believe. More than 100 officers and staff have taken part in the investigation so far as they attempt to work out who is responsible for the 16-year-old’s death.

Chief Inspector Ronald Lungu, of the Bath Neighbourhood Policing team, added: “This tragedy is one too many and it should not be allowed to happen anywhere.

Mikey Rodney, who died after an incident at a home in Bath (family handout)Mikey Rodney, who died after an incident at a home in Bath (family handout)
Mikey Rodney, who died after an incident at a home in Bath (family handout)

“I hear the community’s concerns about this and other recent incidents and would like to reassure them we are doing everything we can to tackle knife crime in Bath, as well as in other towns and cities across our policing area.

“We’re working closely with our partners to educate and divert young people away from crime as we recognise many of them are vulnerable and need support.”