‘Set for medical’ - Bristol City agree transfer for Wycombe star and Nottm Forest target

The Robins are close to making their second signing of the January transfer window
Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

Bristol City have reportedly agreed a fee for Wycombe Wanderers star Anis Mehmeti which will allow for a deadline-day move to Ashton Gate.

The 22-year-old is considered one of the leading players in League One and has been influential in the Chairboys’ push for promotion. Mehmeti is an attacking midfielder by trade but has been deployed as a winger this season, where he has had his career-best season. The three-time Albania Under-21 international has played 30 matches this season with nine goals and four assists in League One and the EFL Cup. Mehmeti played against the Robins earlier in the season when City won 3-1 in the Carabao Cup.

Mehmeti signed a contract in November 2021, which would keep him at Adams Park until the summer of 2024, so Wycombe will at least recoup a respectable fee for what will be a huge loss. Gareth Ainsworth was ‘banking’ on keeping Mehmeti in Buckinghamshire, and it had been reported that Nottingham Forest had been keeping tabs on him with him rated at nearly £5m.

Telegraph journalist Mike McGrath says that a fee has been agreed upon and that he will undergo a medical on Tuesday, securing a deadline day move. The Robins have money at their disposal after the sale of Antoine Semenyo to Bournemouth and have identified Mehmeti as the man who is worth investing in.

Mehmeti has been at Wycombe since September 2020 after joining their reserve team. He had come through the academies of Fulham and Tottenham Hotspur, before joining Norwich City. In his two years and three months at Wycombe, he has played 97 times with 19 goals and nine assists.

Bristol City had been linked with a move for Luton Town’s Harry Cornick, and Hatters manager Rob Edwards did admit there was interest last Saturday, but nothing further has emerged. It was reported on Friday that both City and Swansea City had made a bid but WalesOnline say that the Swans have not made a formal offer.

Luton host Cardiff City in a rearranged Championship match at Kenilworth Road on Tuesday evening, which will have made a move complicated. Wycombe are not in action until Saturday against Port Vale, and so they can be afforded time to find a suitable replacement for Mehmeti.

It could be a busy final day of the transfer window for Bristol City, with moves touted for three players. Jake O’Brien from Crystal Palace has been spoken about but Portsmouth and Wycombe Wanderers are both said to be interested. O’Brien is on loan at Belgian club RWD Molenbeek and so he would have to be recalled for a move to go through. Bristol City have also beenlinked with a move for AFC Wimbledon left-back Jack Currie, with two bids reportedly rejected for the 21-year-old. Currie is out-of-contract in the summer and has played in most of their matches, missing just four games this season.

Han-Noah Massengo’s move to French side Auxerre has been finalised which will take him up to the end of his contract. Jay Dasilva has been linked with a move to Coventry City with the Sky Blues reportedly making him their ‘top target’. Chris Martin and Timm Klose, who have both fallen out of favour under Nigel Pearson could also depart.