Watch: Moment suspected car thief is arrested in back garden in south Bristol

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
The man arrested can be seen hanging from the top of the fence by his leg

The dramatic moment a suspected car thief was caught during a police chase through back gardens was captured on camera by a shocked resident. The female resident can be heard shouting ‘oh my God’ as she watched the officer hold on to the man, who is seen being held up against fencing by his leg.

Two videos of the incident have been shared on Facebook with the comment: “I was chucking away my recycling and I look up realising the helicopter is really low and then next minute I got about 25 police officers running through the house.”

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The first clip shows a man being held by a police officer who appears to be on his radio calling for help. The second clip shows the man surrounded by a several police officers who have since arrived in the back garden.

The arrest was in connection to a police sighting of a suspected stolen vehicle in Throgmorton Road in Knowle yesterday afternoon (November 14). Officers initially pursued the Vauxhall Corsa, and a National Police Air Service helicopter was called out to assist.

The vehicle was abandoned a short distance away, and a person was chased through gardens before being arrested on suspicion of stealing a motor vehicle. Last night he remained in custody while an investigation was carried out.

A man was arrested by police in a back garden in south BristolA man was arrested by police in a back garden in south Bristol
A man was arrested by police in a back garden in south Bristol | BristolWorld

A statement from Avon and Somerset Police said: “A man is in custody after being arrested in Bristol on suspicion of stealing a motor vehicle. At approximately 2.20pm on Monday 14 November, officers sighted a suspected stolen vehicle being driven in Throgmorton Road in Knowle.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“Officers pursued the Vauxhall Corsa, with support from the National Police Air Service helicopter, and the vehicle was subsequently abandoned a short distance away. A person was seen making off on foot through private gardens, but he was soon detained by officers.”