Travellers have moved on from a park and ride car park in Stoke Gifford after South Gloucestershire Council summoned the group to court. Around 10 caravans and vehicles arrived at the car park at Parkway Park and Ride, off Huntsground Road, two weeks ago.
Officers from the council then visited the site and started the process to remove the group. This began with a notice to leave being issued on November 2, before the occupants were summoned to appear at Bristol Magistrates’ Court.
They were due to appear today - but have now moved on from the site, a council spokesperson said.
Last year, data from the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities showed there were 288 traveller caravans in the area in July 2021. Of those counted, 15 were on unauthorised pitches.
South Gloucestershire Council has a responsibility for the management of unauthorised encampments on its own land.
This includes any action to remove the encampment. Except in cases of immediate danger, the council will not remove encampments immediately, but will balance duties owed to the public and the welfare needs of the occupants.
In a statement on this encampment at Parkway Park and Ride, the council said: “An unauthorised encampment in Parkway Park and Ride has been reported. There are 10 caravans and associated vehicles.
“Officers have visited the site and are implementing procedures. Notices to leave were issued on 02.11.22. The site remains the same and court summons have been served on 11.11.22. This unauthorised encampment has now departed.”