South Bristol home gutted in huge fire

The upstairs flat in the home in Newland Road in Bishopsworth was left gutted by the fireThe upstairs flat in the home in Newland Road in Bishopsworth was left gutted by the fire
The upstairs flat in the home in Newland Road in Bishopsworth was left gutted by the fire | Alex Ross
Three fire crews were called to the blaze in Bishopsworth

A major fire broke out in a home in south Bristol - leaving the property partially gutted.

Three crews from Avon Fire and Rescue Service were called to the upstairs flat to the semi-detached house in Newland Road in Bishopsworth on Friday morning (August 18) at 11.34am. No-one was hurt, fortunately, and the fire service believe the blaze was started by accident.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Yesterday (August 20), the impacted side of the property was empty with burnt-out belongings were outside the front. The front window the flat was gone and the room behind it completely gutted. The occupants are believed to now be living elsewhere temporally.

A fire service spokesperson said: “We were called at 11:34am on Friday 18 August to reports of a fire in a residential flat on Newland Road, Bishopsworth. Crews from Temple, Hicks Gate and Bedminster attended and found a fire on a first floor flat affecting the roof space.

“Firefighters used two high pressure hose reels, two jets and a turntable ladder to extinguish the fire. Six firefighters wore breathing apparatus for safety. No persons were injured and the cause of the fire is thought to be accidental.”

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.