Pubs are often stalwarts of a neighbourhood in Bristol, a place to bring back happy times of a misspent youth or a sense of community and belonging.
However, scores of pubs have been closed across the city in recent decades, leaving residents with nothing but fond memories. Bristol World has collected images showing seven pubs which have been closed throughout the decades.
Some would have failed reopenings and several made way for developments, leaving little trace of their existence if not for the photographs we have pulled together for this list. And if you know more than us on a pub, or think we’ve missed some details, please email us at [email protected] - we’d love your input.
Here are the seven lost pubs we have selected:
1. Colston Arms, Pennywell Rd
The Colston Arms at 173 Pennywell Road, on the corner with Beaumont Street. This pub was first opened opened in the 1860s just a short distance from the Pennywell Colliery. This picture was taken between 1944 and 1956 as it features the name Cecilia Matilda Bidwell above the door - she was the licensee during this time period. The pub closed in the early 1970s.
2. Engineers Tavern, Barrow Rd
The Engineers Tavern could be found at 27 Barrow Road. It was one of several corner beer houses to be found in the area as its population grew during the mid-to-late 1800s. Throughout its lifetime, the pub would often be filled with railway employees from the nearby Barrow Road engine shed. In the 1930s, the pub would host local darts competitions. It would close in the early 1960s before the site was demolished in 1965 as part of the Barton Hill redevelopment plan.
3. Albion, Cumberland Rd
The Albion began life as the Albion Wine Vaults in the late 1860s. It was given a new frontage in the 1880s and was known as the Albion thereafter. This picture was taken in 1956. The pub would close in 2006 before being revived as the River City bar and restaurant although this would also eventually close in 2018.
4. The Bear & Rugged Staff and Cat & Wheel pubs, Peter Street
This image shows a a horse dray delivery at the Bear & Rugged Staff, c.1956. Both the Bear & Rugged Staff and neighbouring Cat & Wheel were demolished to make way for the creation of Castle Park when the city’s shopping centre was moved to Broadmead. The Bear once backed hard against the outer wall of the medieval castle in Castle Park today.