Fire service statement on blaze in large building - home to Jam Jar and Pink Kitten Dance School

Avon Fire and Rescue Service has revealed the cause of the fire

A five-storey building which is home to a music studio and dance school suffered damage after a fire caused by an electrical fault. The damage was contained to one workspace at The Old Malt House in Little Ann Street in St Judes, says Avon Fire and Rescue Service.

Six fire crews were called to the blaze on the third floor of the building last night (October 16) at 5.52pm. They used ladders to extinguish the fire, and were able to account for all people inside. There were no casualties.

As part of the operation, Little Ann Street was closed with Avon and Somerset Police and South Western Ambulance Service at the scene. Today, Avon Fire and Rescue Service said the cause of the fire was thought to be accidental ignition from an electrical fault.

The building is home to Jam Jar, which has a music studio inside, and Pink Kitten Dance School.

Fire crews respond to the blaze at The Old Malthouse (Credit: @chopsybristol)

Jen Smith, who tweets under the Twitter handle @ChopsyBristol, lives on the same street the building is on. She said: “There was a significant amount of smoke billowing from the top of The [Old] Malt House. It made the sky go quite dark and the fumes smelt quite toxic so I moved right back.

“It was a calm and well managed incident. Some worry from people gathered in the smaller crowd which I assume was people who had their livelihoods in the building. Thankfully it seemed well contained although it must be upsetting, especially for those who will probably suffer water damage.”

A statement from Avon Fire and Rescue Service read: “Crews from Temple, Southmead, Hicks Gate, Bedminster, Kingswood and Patchway were called at 17:52 to reports of a fire at a five-storey building.

“On arrival, crews found a fire on the third floor and used a turntable ladder for access. Two 45mm jets and two high pressure hose reels were used to extinguish the blaze, with a positive pressure ventilation fan (PPV) used to clear smoke. A total of 22 firefighters wore breathing apparatus for safety.

“All persons were accounted for and there were no casualties. Our police and ambulance colleagues were also in attendance.”

BristolWorld has contacted the landlord, who did not wish to speak to the media at this time.