Barry Rubery murder: Crimewatch appeal launched 12 years after grandfather’s tragic death
Barry Rubery, 68, was attacked in his home in Iron Acton, near Yate, in 2010
and live on Freeview channel 276
The children of a pensioner who was murdered after an evening out in Bristol 12 years ago have made a fresh plea to help solve the mystery - as a new £20,000 reward was issued.
Barry Rubery, 68, was attacked in his home in Iron Acton, near Yate, in 2010 and despite an extensive investigation, numerous public appeals, and two arrests, the cold case remains unresolved.
The plea, alongside a new BBC Crimewatch documentary ‘Who Killed Barry Rubery?’ and a £20,000 reward, has been released to try and finally bring bring Barry’s murderer to justice.
It is now known that Mr Rubery was attacked at about 10.45pm on Wednesday 28 April 2010, shortly after being dropped back to his home in Iron Acton, South Gloucestershire, by a friend.
He had been dining at a masonic lodge, in Bristol - where he was a long standing member.
Mr Rubery’s body was discovered by a friend in his own porch at 8am the following morning at Crossing Cottage, with his wrists bound using white cable ties and tied to his ankles.
Police officers quickly established there was clear evidence of a struggle in the back garden as furniture and objects were strewn across the grass.
A post-mortem examination then concluded that the grandfather-of-six had died following a ‘violent assault’ in which he’d suffered fatal head injuries.
Phil Rubery and his sister Julie told the BBC that finding their father’s killers would give them some closure.
Phil said: “It’s put a big void in all our lives. The police can’t work out why it happened. We need to know.
“It doesn’t make sense. He didn’t have any enemies.”
Julie said the person, or people, who murdered her father could still be freely walking around.
She added: “It’s the not knowing. The feeling that maybe there’s somebody that knows everything and I may speak to them and they are holding information back.
“If anyone knows anything, put yourselves in our shoes. With technology moving on I can’t understand why this hasn’t been solved.”
Avon and Somerset Police has launched another appeal, asking anyone with any information about Mr Rubery’s death to come forward - and CrimeStoppers charity has announced a £20,000 reward for information provided to them exclusively which leads to a conviction in this case.
Senior Investigating Officer DCI Mark Almond, from the Major Crime Investigation Team (MCIT), said: “We hope this will help shed new light on the brutal murder of Barry Rubery and encourage someone with crucial information to come forward.
“It’s been a harrowing 12 years for his family and we remain as determined and committed as ever to finding out the truth and bringing his killer, or killers, to justice.”
Although Mr Rubery’s home had been subject to a thorough search with drawers opened and emptied, a loft disturbed and a picture concealing a safe moved.
However, very little was taken apart from Barry’s Nokia 3310, a gold Masonic watch, a drill and a set of keys. Items of high value were left behind, including gold, cash, jewellery and the safe, causing police to suspect that whoever was responsible had been looking for a specific item, personal to Mr Rubery.
Det Ch Insp Almond said Mr Rubery had been described as being somewhat concerned and distracted in the lead-up to his death and he had kept a shotgun propped-up against a door, telling a carpet fitter it was there “in case the buggers came in”.
Another area of interest to the police is Mr Rubery’s yard, next to his home, where he rented out storage containers to others.
DCI Almond said: “In the weeks leading up his death, Barry was described as being ‘uncharacteristically short or distracted’ and he made reference to problems at the yard, which included a dispute.
“We still need to know what this dispute was about and who it involved.”
As Mr Rubery was killed almost 12 years ago, numerous appeals have been attempted and a thorough investigation has taken place.
Two men have been arrested in connection with the murder in 2014 - but were released without charge, and it is hoped this latest appeal, along with the financial incentive, might change this.
DCI Almond said: “There will be people out there who know who was responsible for Barry’s murder and I‘d urge them to come forward now, for the sake of his family, to tell us what they know.
“The passage of time may allow you to speak up now when you couldn’t before. Please take this opportunity and do the right thing.”