Anderson’s cheerleading, Connolly captain and applause for Boreham Wood - Bristol Rovers moments missed

The moments you may have missed as under 5,000 attend the FA Cup defeat
Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

Bristol Rovers were knocked out of the Emirates FA Cup by non-league opposition as Boreham Wood caused an upset.

George Broadbent fired home from outside the area after a corner was played out to him, the Rovers defence were too slow to get out to the midfielder and after a deflection James Belshaw was wrong-footed.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

It was almost two mid way through the first half, with Broadbent’s headed effort hitting the post before Lee Ndlovu was found inside the box, however he hadn’t spotted the linesman’s flag when he slotted home.

It then was two just before the half-hour mark with another set piece being the Gas’ downfall, a long-throw wasn’t cleared and David Stephens rose above everyone else, heading into the far post.

Four changes at half time and a switch in formation for Joey Barton’s side changed the tie, with Rovers much the better side however despite their vast amounts of possession, the Gas struggled to create clear-cut chances.

The home side’s best chance of the game came from substitute Harvey Saunders, who was found in behind by Sam Finley, the striker tried to take it round Nathan Ashmore however Wood had players back to easily clear.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

After Rovers crashed out of the FA Cup, here’s some moments you might’ve missed from the loss.

‘How are you out of ten’ t-shirts

James Belshaw and Anssi Jaakkola made their way out to warm up wearing ‘how are you out of ten’ shirts, with the charity Talk Club being the match sponsor for the tie.

Harry Anderson and Paul Coutts pitchside for warm up

Club captain Coutts and winger Harry Anderson are both currently out injured, however they stood with the Rovers coaching staff watching their teammates warm up. Anderson was encouraging his teammates in the warm-up before taking his place in the West Stand. Coutts also continued his tradition of joining staff in the home dugout.

Captain Connolly

The 21-year-old captained the side for this first time, becoming the second youngest captain behind Tom Lockyer. The experienced Glenn Whelan who boasted 91 caps for the Republic of Ireland was named in the side but the former Cardiff City defender was preferred. Connolly wore the armband up until half time, when Sam Finley was substituted onto the pitch.

“This is embarrassing” chants

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The Rovers fans made their displeasure well-known after Boreham Wood’s second goal, with chants of ‘this is embarrassing’ and boos of half and full time. The National League side were the better throughout and thoroughly deserved their place in the third round.

Applause to the away players

It says a lot about an away side’s performance when the home fans applaud them walking off the pitch and that’s exactly what happened at the Memorial Stadium.

At the full-time whistle, Boreham Wood’s players received a round of applause… from the home supporters. The opposition players showed their gratitude to those that stayed in the Thatcher’s End to applaud them after they had caused the upset of the round.

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.