Nigel Pearson mystified by ‘scatter-gun’ club that made ‘bizarre’ offers for players

Nigel Pearson has sent a parting shot to an unnamed club about their approach to the January transfer window.

<p>Nigel Pearson was mystified by a few offers received for two of his players. (Photo by Nathan Stirk/Getty Images)</p>

Nigel Pearson was mystified by a few offers received for two of his players. (Photo by Nathan Stirk/Getty Images)

The Robins had a quiet transfer window in total, bringing in Timm Klose whilst a few younger players were shipped out on loan.

On what eventually turned out to be a quiet deadline day, there were reports of a bid being rejected from Nottingham Forest for Antoine Semenyo.

There were also two loan bids knocked back by City from Cardiff for Nahki Wells, as well as late interest in Kasey Palmer from the Welsh side.

Apparently, Birmingham City also had a bid knocked back for wing-back Jay Dasilva according to Birmingham Live, though the former Chelsea academy youngster has recently got back into the first-team fold.

No key players left Ashton Gate Stadium on Deadline Day but there were opportunities to leave, but Nigel Pearson wasn’t too pleased with how one club conducted themselves.

”I can’t speak for how other clubs do their business and how scattergun they are in their approach,” said the City boss.

Advertisement

“There were approaches for some of our players which I actually shook my head at. One club hadn’t a clue who they wanted but they wanted somebody.

“It was quite reassuring that at least we have got a plan, so there you go.

“I can’t talk for other clubs but I can only talk of experience of dealing with bizarre requests from other places that didn’t materialise.”

There was interest in Nahki Wells on Deadline Day but offers were swiftly rejected. (Photo by Dan Mullan/Getty Images)

The one club in specific that Pearson may have been speaking about are City’s Severnside rivals Cardiff, who were rumoured to explored a number of options on the last day of the window.

They sold Kieffer Moore on deadline day to promotion-chasing AFC Bournemouth and were in the market for a replacement, despite signing Jordan Hugill from Norwich City.

Advertisement

Interest had been reported in Wells on Saturday from Cardiff and Swansea and it later transpired that the former had made a bid for the Bermuda international, which was rejected.

They then moved on to Sean Maguire from Preston North End but they met the same outcome there. Sam Surridge from Stoke City then emerged as a target but he eventually joined Nottingham Forest on a permanent deal.

Cardiff then reportedly came back in for Wells but were rebuffed for a second time but also considered a move for Kasey Palmer.

Eventually, they had to settle for Middlesbrough striker Uche Ikpeazu who scored on his debut in a 1-0 win over Barnsley yesterday, moving them nine points clear of the drop zone.

Despite announcing record losses of just shy of £40m, City were able to hold on to their key players, whilst also being able to extend their stays at the club.

Advertisement

Ayman Benarous this week signed a new contract that will keep him there for a further three years, whilst last month saw Cameron Pring pen an extension.

Early interest had been reported in Han-Noah Massengo from Germany but the young Frenchman remains contracted to the club as a key part of the midfield.

Clubs may come back in the summer for some of City’s key players which may test their resolve but for the time being, there is a settled squad to finish this campaign.

The Bristol City boss gave his own take of the month just past and reiterated that it was never the plan to conduct any business in January.

‘I’m not wet behind the ears, I don’t expect everyone to stay here indefinitely,” Pearson said.

“There may be the necessity at some point to sell one of our talented players for us to negotiate this next period of time.

Advertisement

“But the intention is not to sell them, that is all I can say categorically.

“I don’t think our fans want to hear anymore knock backs than they have already had. They’ve already had to come to terms that we are in a situation where we’re going to have to be very careful over the next two to three years.

“We’re going to have to manage our way and negotiate that in a sensible way.

“It doesn’t mean that we won’t do business and there will never be anyone coming in but I tried to brief you that January wasn’t going to be a lot happening.

“It was never our intention to do much business, I’m very pleased that we got Tim in and in terms of players going the other way, it didn’t materialise.”