Bristol City player ratings vs Watford: 'Dominant' wide man scores 8/10 as Burnley talent strikes on debut

Bristol City 1-1 Watford

Bristol City debutant Scott Twine netted as the Robins drew 1-1 with Championship rivals Watford at Ashton Gate on Saturday.

Tom Dele-Bashiru put the visitors in front when he converted from the penalty spot after Rob Dickie’s handball.

Twine popped up with the equaliser midway through the first half when he rose above Jake Livermore to nod past Ben Hamer.

The result sees Liam Manning’s side move up one place into 13th.

Despite City’s excellent win against Premier League side West Ham on Tuesday night, they couldn’t build on that display from the first whistle against Watford.

The visitors enjoyed the lion’s share of possession early on and managed to convert their joy into the opening goal.

A free kick was sent into the area and the ball was adjudged to have struck Dickie on the hand, which replays showed was the correct decision.

Dele-Bashiru stepped up and fired past Max O’Leary, who went the right way but couldn’t reach the effort.

The Robins continued to struggle to get a foothold in the match but almost drew level when a quick turnover saw Twine presented with a chance.

Ross McCrorie intercepted a loose ball that was latched onto by Jason Knight. His early cross was sent into the path of the new signing who couldn’t manage to direct goalward.

However, the new man did get his goal minutes later. A long ball from O’Leary was knocked forward by Cam Pring and fell to Tommy Conway.

The striker nipped in front of Wesley Hoedt and despite a top save from Ben Hamer, the loose ball flew up into the air and Twine rose above Jake Livermore to head into the corner and mark his debut in style.

Watford had a golden chance to regain the lead before the interval when George Tanner’s slip allowed Valerian Ismael’s side a three-against-one attack.

Mileta Rajovic found Yaser Asprilla at the far post, who fumbled his first touch before O’Leary came out sharply to snuff out the opportunity.

The opening 15 minutes of the second period were cagey, but City looked the most likely to find a second goal as they went close through Ross McCrorie and Knight.

The Hornets, though, retained a threat of their own, and it took a last-ditch block from Pring to prevent Matheus Martins’ shot from arrowing at goal.

As the game went on, neither side looked likely to find a winning goal, but Dickie had a great chance to make amends for his handball with 10 minutes to play.

Twine’s corner was on the money, and Dickie’s powerful header was gathered well by Hamer.

The new man’s corner continued to cause Watford problems and some late drama saw both Knight and Pring come close for City, but both sides were forced to settle for a draw.

Here’s how the Robins fared…

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.