Bristol City player ratings v QPR: 'Clumsy' 5/10s scored in sloppy Championship defeat

Bristol City 0-1 QPR

Bristol City were narrowly defeated 1-0 by Championship strugglers Queens Park Rangers at Ashton Gate on Saturday.

Ilias Chair netted the sole goal of the match towards the end of the first half, as City were well below their best on the day.

The result sees Liam Manning's side move down to 12th, seven points off the play-off places.

The hosts made a quick start to the match and went close through Jason Knight after quick feet from Sam Bell on the left.

Bell squared up Jimmy Dunne and sent a cross into the area, the ball ricocheted off Dunne and fell to Knight on the edge of the area, but the midfielder dragged the effort wide of the mark.

QPR also settled well and were content to hold possession deep in their own half, often utilising their goalkeeper, Asmir Begovic.

Despite the possession, the visitors found it difficult to progress up the pitch and attack with any momentum.

Knight enjoyed occupying the half spaces for City, and positive work from the ex-Derby man almost provided the opener.

Knight’s pass to Nahki Wells was intercepted by Steve Cook, but the loose ball flew into the air and landed at the feet of Ross McCrorie.

The Scottish defender fired a left-footed volley towards the near post which zipped painfully wide.

Just as the hosts were starting to assert themselves more, they were dealt a blow when Bell pulled up holding his leg and had to be replaced.

Anis Mehmeti almost found a spectacular opener when he cut inside and bent an effort towards the far post, but Begovic scrambled to push away.

The game looked set to remain goalless at the break, but a quick attack from the visitors saw Chair fire home for 1-0.

Chris Willock progressed forward and picked out Lucas Anderson on the right flank, the no.25 pulled a cross back to the penalty spot where Chair was perfectly positioned to strike low past O’Leary.

Early in the second period, Chair almost netted another after a smart free-kick routine.

Quick thinking from Anderson saw him slot the ball down the line for the onrushing Chair whose run had caught City napping, and the Moroccan’s low effort was pushed out by the Robins keeper.

Some slack moments at the back from Rob Dickie and Haydon Roberts provided QPR with some added confidence if finding a second goal, as space began to open inside the home penalty area.

Manning made a triple change to try and force this issue as Dire Mebude, Taylor Gardner-Hickman and Tommy Conway were introduced, but the change almost had an adverse effect as O’Leary was forced into action again soon after.

The ball broke for Lyndon Dykes in the area, who laid the ball to Anderson, whose effort was clawed away by the shot-stopper.

City continued to struggle to impose themselves on QPR and failed to sustain any kind of pressure on the visitors, but a smart effort from Conway almost levelled the scores.

The striker made a yard past Cook and flashed a shot across goal, which dribbled inches wide of the post.

Manning’s side pushed for a late goal, which left them vulnerable at the back, and if it wasn’t for O’Leary, they could’ve been beaten by two or three goals.

Here's how the Robins fared...

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.