Bristol City player ratings v Plymouth Argyle: 'Faultless' trio of 8/10s scored but one 5 as Robins beat 10-man Pilgrims

Plymouth 0-1 Bristol City

Bristol City earned a first away win since mid-February as they defeated 10-man Plymouth Argyle 1-0 at Home Park on Monday.

Nahki Well's bundled header after Mark Sykes' effort in the second period proved enough for the Robins to earn all three points.

Argyle midfielder Alfie Devine was sent off as the hosts searched for an equaliser after he received a second booking for a foul on George Tanner.

The result sees Liam Manning's side move up to 12th place in the Championship table.

The hosts made a fast start to the match and won a few early corners which fired up the home fans.

Morgan Whittaker was enjoying his role off the right flank and began to bring Lino Sousa into the match with a few switched passes.

City struggled to gain a foothold of possession in the first 10 minutes as the quick Plymouth press continued to win the ball back.

The Robins came forward in search of an opener when Anis Mehmeti picked the ball up on the edge of the area, the Albanian was brought down but no foul was awarded and the hosts counterattacked.

Jordan Houghton sent the ball forward and Ryan Hardie ran through and fired wide of the mark.

Ian Foster’s side continued to win corners and looked a threat with the height of Lewis Gibson and Ashley Phillips.

As the half went on, Manning’s visitors started to impose themselves in an attacking sense.

Matty James’ clipped ball forward found Scott Twine who attempted to loop the ball over Michael Cooper, but the goalkeeper pushed behind for a corner.

The Robins made a triple change at the break which saw Sykes, Wells and Joe Williams introduced and the switches worked.

Williams’ long-range effort was deflected behind for a corner before Sykes went down under the challenge of Sousa.

Before the hour mark, it was Wells who broke the deadlock.

Knight played the ball to Mehmeti who cut inside and fired at goal, Cooper’s save fell to Sykes who prodded the ball goalward again and the Bermudan was in the perfect place to bundle home with his head.

The Robins kicked on after the opener and were comfortable on top and creating chances.

Sykes’ powerful effort from a tight angle was pushed out before Rob Dickie slid Wells through who saw his left-footed effort stopped.

The Pilgrims’ afternoon was made even more difficult when Devine was dismissed after a late challenge on Tanner saw him receive his second booking of the match.

Twine was forced off for City late in the match for Andy King who helped his side hold on to their lead.

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.