Bristol City player ratings v Nottingham Forest: 'Fearless' defender impresses as three 8/10s scored in FA Cup draw

Bristol City 0-0 Nottingham Forest

Bristol City earned an FA Cup fourth-round replay as they drew 0-0 with Premier League side Nottingham Forest on Friday night.

Tommy Conway went the closest for the hosts as he saw several first-half efforts smothered, as Danilo and Callum Hudson-Odoi struck the side netting for Forest.

Liam Manning’s side will get another opportunity to knock out a topflight team for the second round in succession when they travel to the City ground.

The Robins made a positive start to the tie in front of a lively Ashton Gate crowd and were able to get into a good passing rhythm in the early stages.

Jason Knight and Anis Mehmeti were finding pockets to receive the ball in and Ross McCrorie and Cam Pring provided an outlet on the flanks.

McCrorie’s early cross found Conway in the area, but the Scot’s effort was smothered by Andrew Omobamidele.

Forest retained a threat on the counterattack with Hudson-Odoi, but City kept their wits about them and continued to create chances.

Mehmeti and Pring linked up well, and the latter’s dangerous cross narrowly evaded Conway’s head.

Zak Vyner kept the play alive and slid the striker through on goal, but again saw his shot blocked by Omobamidele.

Moments later, Pring flew in on Gonzalo Montiel and was cautioned.

Mehmeti continued to cause problems; his first-time cross found Conway whose instinctive snapshot flashed wide from a tight angle.

The visitors were struggling to get into any rhythm of their own but could’ve opened the scoring when Ryan Yates connected with a bouncing ball in the box. But Max O’Leary gathered comfortably.

Yates and Nicolas Dominguez were cautioned for cynical fouls on Pring and Mehmeti as their frustration grew, as Matty James was also booked for a similar challenge.

Despite their underwhelming display in the first 45, Nuno Espirito Santo’s team crafted a brilliant chance to snatch the lead after a quick counterattack led to Danilo firing narrowly wide.

There was still time for more goalmouth action as City went close through Mehmeti and Knight before the half-time whistle.

The introduction of Morgan Gibbs-White and Neco Williams provided Forest with a greater threat at the start of the first period, as City were forced to soak up some early pressure.

Gibbs-White’s quality was evident, and the midfielder unlocked the City defence with a delicate chipped cross into the path of Chris Wood.

The striker headed goalward but O’Leary reacted well to hold onto the effort.

The Robins’ reaction was good, and George Tanner’s mazy run looked destined to provide the opener, but a last-ditch foot from Orel Mangala cleared.

Sam Bell went close minutes later for City before Hudson-Odoi’s effort fired against the side netting at the other end.

City tried to force the issue by bringing Nahki Wells and Harry Cornick on, but both sides had to settle for a replay.

Here's how the City players fared...

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.