Bristol City player ratings v Huddersfield Town: 'Sloppy' 6/10s scored as duo step up in dramatic Championship draw

Bristol City 1-1 Huddersfield

Bristol City’s unbeaten run stretched to five matches as they fired in a late penalty to draw 1-1 against Championship strugglers Huddersfield Town at Ashton Gate.

A second-half strike from John Koroma sent the visitors in front with 10 minutes to play.

Following five additional minutes of stoppage time, City were awarded a penalty in the 99th minute, which Nahki Wells converted.

The result sees the Robins remain in 12th place, with three games remaining.

The visitors made an aggressive start to the match as they went in search of a victory that would aid their battle to stay in the division.

But their front-footed start caused an early problem when Brodie Spencer was cautioned for bringing down Mark Sykes in the early stages.

The first effort of the match came from the Terriers when David Kasumu’s left-footed effort flashed wide of the mark.

Huddersfield picked up a second booking of the match moments later when Alex Matos impeded Joe Williams in the middle of the park before the visitors threatened once more.

Sorba Thomas made a yard on the right and sent a deep cross into the area, Spencer snuck in behind Sykes at the far post but saw his free header fizz wide.

Matos sent another effort wide of the post before Koroma broke free and saw his shot deflect behind for a corner, as the visitors offered more going forward in the first 30 minutes.

Town were dealt a scare late in the half when Michal Helik’s boot caught Tommy Conway in the head, but referee Rebecca Welch brandished a yellow card.

The hosts sprung into life in the dying moments of the half when Haydon Roberts set Scott Twine free down the left channel, but his cross was blocked as the Robins failed to register a shot at the break.

Manning’s side came out with more intent after half-time and went close through a Ross McCrorie following a Twine free kick before Conway began to get more involved.

The Scot fired a dangerous ball across goal which Knight directed on target, but Lee Nicholls gathered.

Conway was involved again moments later when he teed up Matty James to strike from the edge of the area, but the veteran’s effort zipped into the gloves of Nicholls.

City began to attack with more purpose after the hour mark. Roberts’ switched pass found Sykes who slid Knight through down the right, before McCrorie robbed Koroma in his own penalty area and almost crafted a route to goal.

But it was Huddersfield who came within inches of finding an opener when Jack Rudoni’s right-footed shot was dragged narrowly wide of the beaten Max O’Leary’s post.

Soon after, a brilliant scorpion kick from Koroma had the Terriers fans off their seats, but his acrobatic effort flew into the hands of O’Leary.

The visitors broke again minutes after and Koroma found Thomas in the area, the no.14 took a touch and fired an effort towards goal, but the City keeper stood strong once more.

From the resulting corner, Roberts robbed Matos of possession and drove forward, the midfielder found the run of Nahki Wells but Tom Lees was across just in time to clear.

City were made to rue their wasted chance when with 10 minutes to play, Huddersfield found an opening goal.

Rudoni attacked down the right and shot across the goal, his effort took a touch off Roberts and landed in the path of Koroma who blasted into the net.

With time running out, it looked set to fizzle out in defeat. But, a cross from Pring was handled in the area and the referee pointed to the spot.

Wells sent Nicholls the wrong way from 12 yards out to salvage a late point.

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.