Bristol City chief provides transfer update and upcoming opponents eye deal

The latest Bristol City news and rumours on Monday.

Bristol City were beaten 3-2 at home to Sunderland over the weekend.

The Robins have lost their first two matches of the 2022/23 Championship season after falling to a defeat on the opening day at Hull City too.

Next up for Nigel Pearson’s side is a trip to Coventry City on Wednesday trip in the Carabao Cup, followed by an away game at Wigan Athletic in the league on Saturday.

Here is a look at the latest news coming out of the club today.

Latest on Scott and Semenyo

Bristol City owner Steve Lansdown has provided an update on the futures of Alex Scott and Antoine Semenyo.

He has said that the Robins are yet to receive offers for the highly-rated pair but admits it would be hard to stand in the way of them moving to the Premier League.

Speaking to BBC Radio Bristol (via Bristol Live) Lansdown said: “The first thing you have to have is an offer for them which we haven’t got. How do we retain them?

“They’re under contract. Antoine’s got two years, Alex has got three and we don’t need to sell them and we don’t want to sell them. So like all these things you have to make offers to make you change your mind because that money can be reinvested to bolster the rest of the squad.”

He added: “I think the transfer market is only with the Premier League sides. They have the capital to do it and the owners who can put the money in to do something but strictly speaking, I don’t think that’s there anymore.

“Why would Alex or Antoine want to go to someone else in the Championship? They have fantastic facilities here, it’s a great club to be a part of, great team-mates and a progression that they can see in their own careers but when a Premier League club comes in for them that’s when it’s difficult to turn down and I wouldn’t stand in their way.”

Manchester United had previously been reported to have enquired about the availability of Bristol City midfielder Alex Scott, however it is now believed that that is not true. Everton and Leicester have also been linked with the 18-year-old. (Bristol Live)

Scott praised by academy chief

Scott has been praised by academy chief, Brian Tinnion.

The young midfielder, who has been linked with Manchester United this summer, has established himself as a key first-team player.

City’s Player Pathway Manager Tinnion has revealed how the club moved to sign him from Guernsey, as per a report by the Telegraph: . “We’d been over to watch him and had seen footage, so we knew what he was about,” Tinnion recalls. “But when you see him live, you’re thinking ‘wow, he’s got some ability this boy.’ The decision to sign him was virtually made during that game.”

He added: “He was in the U23s really quickly and then the first-team asked about him. Nige [Pearson] loved him; he went at 17 and never came back.”

Saturday’s opponents eye new signing

Saturday’s opponents Wigan may well have a new player in their squad before the weekend.

The Latics have drawn their opening two games against Preston North End and Norwich City.

According to a report by the Northern Echo, the North West club are ‘ready’ to battle it out with Sunderland to sign Everton attacker Nathan Broadhead.