Bristol City boss makes transfer wish amid Rangers, Brighton, West Ham & Wolves talk

Nigel Pearson is ‘happy’ with Bristol City’s transfer business this summer - but there’s still over a week to go in the summer window.
Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

After admitting he doesn’t have the finances to bring in more signings, Nigel Pearson has hopes there’s no-more outgoings at Bristol City.

The Robins’ transfer business is likely to be done and dusted for the summer in terms of incomings after the arrival of Taylor Gardner-Hickman.

West Brom have given the 21-year-old utility man to the Robins for the entirety of the 2023/24 season, and he is the fifth arrival at Ashton Gate this summer.

The transfer window shuts on Friday, September at 11.00 pm, and not much is expected either in or out but there is always the possibility of moves from other clubs for their players, which could force them to find a replacement.

He said: People think about budgets as in how much cash you’ve got to spend on fees, it’s not that, we’re talking about the whole aspect of it and that’s wages.

“We’re not in a position to do any more business in that regard, and then when asked if any sales could happen, Pearson said: “I don’t know.”

Alex Scott was sold to AFC Bournemouth for £25m earlier this summer, and that money for the time being is not being reinvested directly back into the playing squad, as the club looks to become a more sustainable outfit.

In terms of other outgoings, Cameron Pring was said to be ‘looked at’ by West Ham earlier this summer, and admitted it was ‘flattering’ to be linked, though a move to the English capital looks unlikely at this stage.

Meanwhile Sam Bell has attracted interest from a host of clubs, according to TEAMtalk. It was reported by them earlier this month that Brentford, Brighton, Crystal Palace, Rangers and Wolves all watched the 21-year-old against Preston earlier this month.

Influential defender Zak Vyner is another who has had his future linked away from the club this summer. Luton Town and Southampton had been said to be keeping tabs on the 26-year-old, who’s contract is up at the end of the summer with talks currently on hold.

Pearson added: “It depends on if somebody comes in for a player but hopefully if someone does come in for one of our players the club doesn’t allow that to happen. Because if you’ve lost a player you don’t have much time to do much.

“Those are the parts of the equation I don’t think people factor in too many times. “We’re not able to go and do any more business really.”