Bristol City boost as Bournemouth agree deal with transfer alternative

Bristol City could still yet keep World Cup striker Antoine Semenyo - after a transfer development at Bournemouth.

Bristol City could be about to breathe a sigh of relief as it looks like Bournemouth have moved on from their pursuit of in-demand striker Antoine Semenyo.

The Premier League club submitted two bids to the Robins last Thursday, - the first being £8m and the second £10m, both of which were rejected by City who are holding firm in their valuation of one of their most prized assets. Championship rivals Burnley had also made an offer for Semenyo which was turned down, and their impending signing of Lyle Foster looks like their pursuit of the World Cup striker is on hold for the time being.

Sky Sports journalist Mark McAdam said last week that Bournemouth had moved on from Semenyo after being turned down, and that looks to be true after their rumoured pursuit of Villarreal's Nicolas Jackson. Jackson had been a target for Southampton but according to the DailyMail and The Athletic, Bournemouth are looking to hijack the move despite the player holding advanced talks with the Hampshire club.

BBC journalist Kris Temple claims that a deal has been agreed between Bournemouth and Villarreal for the forward which will be worth £20.3m.

Jackson can play in several positions including as a striker, but is also able to fill in as a winger on both the left and right-side flanks. He has got two goals and two assists in 14 matches in La Liga this season and a move to the English top flight could be near. Bournemouth are ahead of Southampton in the current standings, which could sway Jackson's decision if he chooses to leave Villarreal.

It could however prompt Southampton to enter the race for Semenyo having previously been linked with him earlier in the window. Danny Ings had been a target for them but he joined West Ham United, and Jackson was their other target, so the list may be worked down.

As for Semenyo, with Bournemouth, Burnley and Southampton all pursuing other options, it is looking increasingly likely that he will remain a Bristol City player. The nature of Deadline Day could change things as clubs work their way through several transfer targets, deciding whether the risk is right or not, but avenues are closing on the Ghana forward.

Manager Nigel Pearson has been happy with how the 22-year-old has conducted himself despite the uncertainty surrounding his future at the club. Semenyo started and scored in the 1-1 draw with ten-man Blackburn Rovers, with his fifth goal involvement this month.

“The background noise is always going to be there,” said Pearson about whether the situation last week had affected Semenyo's mind set at all heading into the Blackburn Rovers match.

“Whether it is criticism or people questioning aspects of your game, you’ve got to not really concentrate on all that c**p that is going on in the background because most of it is c**p.

“It’s not necessarily coming from the majority of people, you have to block it out and concentrate on what the job is. As a player you’ve got to deliver on what you are selected to deliver, it is as simple as that. As a young man, he’s dealt with the situation very well."