‘Unattended BBQ’ sees section of the Downs go up in flames
BBQs aren’t allowed on the Downs and it’s not hard to see why
A section of the Downs has been left damaged after a fire triggered by an unattended disposable BBQ.
A patch measuring 10mx10m went up in flames yesterday afternoon (Sunday, August 7) on the Sea Walls section of the Downs.
The blaze reportedly spread fast, but crews from Avon Fire and Rescue managed to put it out quickly using two high pressure hose reels.
The service confirmed: “The cause of the fire is thought to be accidental, due to an unattended BBQ.”
MP for Bristol West Darren Jones reminded residents that BBQs are not permitted on the Downs, and the current dry weather makes them even more dangerous.
He said: “The Downs caught fire due to a disposable BBQ - given how dry the grass is at the moment, it could have been a lot worse than it was.
“We could also do with not having to use water unnecessarily at the moment. Please stick to picnics!”
In light of the fire, some residents are calling on supermarkets to stop selling disposable BBQs.
Temperatures are set to soar in Bristol again this week, as high as 33C on Friday (August 12).
Simon Thompson said: “Supermarkets should ban sales of portable BBQs until this dry spell is over. Believe M&S have already done it.”