The Baton of Hope UK Tour 2023: when it is coming to Bristol, where to see it and full list of locations
The Baton of Hope UK Tour will be coming to Bristol over the coming days, stopping off at one of the city’s most famous landmarks to raise awareness for those affected by suicide as well as prevention initiatives.
and live on Freeview channel 276
The Baton of Hope UK Tour will be coming to Bristol in July, stopping off at one of the city’s most famous landmarks, as it makes its way across the UK. The baton will be visiting 12 cities starting in Glasgow before finishing in Downing Street two weeks later.
The organisers of the event hope to impact thousands of people on the way, raising awareness for those affected by suicide as well as prevention initiatives. The event website says they have a clear and simple message: “Where there is hope, there is a real opportunity to save lives.”
Carried by notable personalities, leaders, and people with their own inspiring stories, the Baton of Hope will be marked by a packed events schedule giving local communities, organisations, and neighbouring towns a chance to get involved.
The event was founded after Mike McCarthy and Steve Phillip made contact following the deaths of their sons, Ross and Jordan, to suicide. Steve Phillips said: “We were brought together through tragic circumstances – two fathers sharing common grief.
“Each wanting to make a difference, and determined that the death of our sons should not be in vain. Through our friendship, we recognised that by creating unity of purpose we could shake things up and create a movement that we hope will stop so many people taking their own lives.”
So, when is The Baton of Hope tour coming to Bristol? Here’s everything you need to know including a full list of UK routes and dates.
The Baton of Hope UK Tour 2023 - Bristol route
The baton arrives in Bristol on July 2. The event will start and end the day with senior members of Bristol City Council.
Christina Grey, director for Communities and Public Health, will acknowledge the tragedy which most of the baton-bearers have experienced, and thank them for uniting to press for change. Music will be provided by the The British and Irish Modern Music Institute.
- Start - SS Great Britain: 10am - 10.30am
- Bedminster Cricket Ground: 11am - 11.30am
- Bower Ashton - UWE Bristol: 11.40am -12.10pm
- Courtyard Cafe - Ashton Court Estate: 12.20pm - 12.40pm
- Arts Mansion - Ashton Court Estate: 1.40pm - 2.30pm
- Finish - Ashton Gate Stadium: 3pm - 5pm
The Baton of Hope UK Tour 2023 - routes and dates
Here is the full list of places the baton will start from in each city including the date and time it will be there.
- Dassie Park, Glasgow - June 24, 2023 - 8:05am
- Holyrood Park, Edinburgh - June 25, 2023 - 10am
- Northumberland Park, Newcastle - June 27, 2023 - 8am
- Hillsborough Stadium, Sheffield - June 28, 2023 - 8:05am
- Manchester - June 29, 2023
- Queen’s University, Belfast - June 30, 2023 - 8am
- Castle Green, Cardiff - July 1, 2023 - 8am
- SS Great Britain, Bristol - July 2, 2023 - 10am
- Alexander Stadium, Birmingham - July 3, 2023 - 8:30am
- Milton Keynes Rose, Milton Keynes - July 4, 2023 - 8:05am
- Peace Statue, Brighton - July 5, 2023 - 8am
- Emirates Stadium, London - July 6, 2023 - 8am
How to get involved
The Baton of Hope has fast become the biggest campaign for suicide prevention, and is the only one of its kind. The initiative has been endorsed by a number of public figures including the late Queen Elizabeth II.
The website says: “We aim to make the Baton of Hope UK Tour as inclusive as possible, with opportunities for people and organisations to get involved whether they are based near the physical route of the Baton or participating ‘virtually’ via the available online and social media channels.
“If this is something that you or your organisation should be involved in, then please get in touch.”