Police investigate ‘suspicious’ fire at Knowle West charity shop

Avon Fire & Rescue say the cause of the blaze is ‘thought to have been deliberate ignition’

An investigation is under way after a community charity shop in Knowle West was damaged by fire. The Re:store on Filwood Broadway is part of the re:work charity, which has its offices across the road.

The store accepts donated items of furniture, which is repaired and restored for local people in the community. Fire crews from Bedminster and Temple stations were called to reports of a fire at 8.15pm on Saturday (November 19).

On arrival, crews found a rubbish fire affecting the three storey building, which has commerical units on the ground floor and residential premises upstairs.

With the fire affecting the ground, first and second floors, firefighters used one high pressure hose reel to extinguish the fire. A positive pressure ventilation fan was also used to aid smoke clearance. Avon Fire & Rescue say the cause of the incident is ‘thought to have been deliberate ignition’.

In a statement, Avon & Someset Police said: “There were no reported injuries, but a shopfront did sustain some damage. We are currently treating the incident as suspicious and a criminal damage investigation is underway.

“We’d ask anyone who was in the area at the time and saw anybody acting suspiciously to please call and give the call-handler reference number 5222278644.”

It’s the second fire at the Re:store shop in two years. A blaze at the store in January 2021 was caused by an electrical fault. Re:store has been contacted for comment.