Much-loved grandfather dies after collapsing during family pub meal - despite best efforts of staff to save him

‘He was seen to collapse while eating the meal’

A grandfather collapsed and died while out enjoying a pub meal with family - despite the best efforts of staff and a fellow diner to save him.

Phillip Rogers, a building subcontractor from Yate, was with his stepbrother when the incident happened at the Dog Inn in Old Sodbury, near Bristol, on October 23 last year, an inquest opening heard.

Avon Coroner’s Court was told he ‘was seen to collapse while eating the meal’ during the hearing yesterday (January 5).

The provisional causes of death were given as respiratory obstruction by ingested food and heart disease.

Speaking today (January 6), the Dog Inn owner Glenn Prested described how he and his team responded to the incident in the pub, which was busy at the time with customers.

Phillip Rogers died after collapsing during a meal at The Dog Inn in Old Sodbury

He said: “I was in the kitchen that evening and the gentleman was having a meal when one of his family asked a member of staff if there was first aid because on the face of it the man was choking.

“As the first aider, I went out and started to help but became quite clear that there was something else wrong as he wasn’t responsive.”

Mr Prested said 999 was called while a diner at the pub then carried out CPR on the man and a defibrillator nearby was brought out to help.

The inquest opening heard how paramedics attended, but sadly Mr Rogers could not be saved.

An online tribute to Mr Rogers from his family said that the 78-year-old was a much-loved dad and grandad who would forever be in their hearts.

Area Coroner Mr Peter Harrowing adjourned the hearing for an inquest on March 16 .