A park in south Bristol has been saved from a giant 24-metre phone mast after unpopular plans were scrapped.
The huge 5G phone mast was previously planned for Redcatch Park in Knowle, sparking opposition from thousands of locals and cross-party councillors.
A decision on approving the mast was due to be taken this week by the secretive lands tribunal, behind closed doors.
But now Walden Communications, the operator behind the phone mast plans, has scrapped its proposal for Redcatch Park and will instead search for an alternative location for the mast.
Campaigners fighting the plans welcomed the decision, as well as the Bristol mayor.
Sian Ellis-Thomas, of Residents Against the Mast, said: “We did it. I think we can be confident that a viable alternative outside the park will now be agreed in good time.
“It’s a real demonstration of what can be achieved when a community comes together to speak truth to power and demand to be listened to.”
Mayor Marvin Rees said: “I welcome this decision. We will work constructively with operators to find a suitable alternative site. Thank you to all who campaigned.”
Walden Communications, working with EE Limited and Hutchinson 3G, initially said the new mast was needed temporarily, after a nearby mast on top of the Friendship Inn was removed when the old pub was converted into a Tesco.
But local campaigners feared the ‘temporary’ measure would eventually be made permanent, taking up a huge space in a well-used park.
Earlier this month, before the mast in the park plan was scrapped, councillors from each party voiced their concerns about how national rules give phone companies “sweeping emergency powers” to install phone masts.
During a Bristol City Council meeting on July 5, Green Cllr Ed Plowden claimed the legislation lets companies “sidestep local democracy”.