Five people injured during dramatic police chase which leads to M32 closure

A man has been arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving

Watch more of our videos on Shots!
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

Five people were injured in a dramatic police car chase which ended in the arrest of a man - and the closure of the M32.

Avon and Somerset Police were first alerted to a silver Ford car on Saturday, just before midnight, when a member of the public said a woman appeared to have been pulled into the vehicle against her will.

The Ford was pursued through Bristol city centre and onto the M32 before continuing onto the A4174 towards Keynsham where it was finally stopped by officers on Wellsway, Keynsham at around 12.20 am on Sunday, May 1.

During the course of the police pursuit, the Ford was involved in a collision with two pedestrians on St Augustine’s Parade who required medical attention for minor injuries.

A further collision occurred on the northbound carriageway of the M32 between the police car conducting the pursuit and third party vehicle. Three members of the public were taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

One of the occupants of the Ford, a man his mid-20s, left the scene and was located by officers nearby. He was arrested for multiple offences including dangerous driving and failing to stop for police.

He has been taken to hospital to be checked over. His condition is not believed to be life-threatening.

A female passenger was also taken to hospital to be treated for minor injuries. Appropriate safeguarding measures have been put in place for her welfare.

This incident has been referred to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) due to police involvement prior to the collisions occurring.

The M32 northbound between J2 (Horfield) and J1 (Filton) was re-opened shortly after 8am on Sunday, May 1.

Enquiries are ongoing. Any witnesses who have not yet spoken to police are asked to call 101 reference 5222102562.