Fire service issues safety warning as heatwave hits Bristol
and live on Freeview channel 276
Firefighters in the Bristol region have urged residents to ‘do their bit’ to prevent the risk of fires developing and spreading as another heatwave hits the city.
The warning from Avon Fire and Rescue Service comes after crews battled three grass or field fires in the past few days alone, which ‘spread rapidly’ due to dry ground.
The first saw a section of the Downs go up in flames due to an unattended BBQ on Sunday, and a few days later a huge blaze tore through a field in South Gloucestershire after a combine harvester caught fire.
This afternoon (Wednesday, August 10) crews were called out to another grass fire in Bedminster.
Thankfully, nobody was harmed in any of these fires.
But with temperatures set to soar as high as 35C in the city this week, along with an ‘amber’ warning for heat sounded by the Met Office, it is feared there could be further incidents.
Avon Fire and Rescue Service area manager, Vaughan Jenkins, said: “As the hot weather continues, I know it can be tempting to have a barbeque with friends and family, but with the ground so dry it poses a significant fire risk.
“We’re asking everyone to do their bit this summer and take care to reduce the risk of fires starting in the first place.
“We will always be there if you need us in an emergency, but lets work together to make sure our resources are available for those who need us most.”
The Service has issued the following tips:
- If you’re going to have a BBQ, they are best used in your garden, away from your home and at a safe distance from anything that could catch fire including hedges, sheds or garden furniture.
- If using a disposable BBQ, place it on a flat, non-flammable surface and only dispose of it once it’s cold.
- Dispose of smoking materials responsibly, make sure cigarettes are fully out and cold before being put in a bin - do not drop them on the ground.
- Pick up your litter. Don’t leave bottles or glass in dry areas - sunlight shining through the glass can start a fire. Instead, dispose of them in waste or recycling bins.
Mr Jenkins added: “If you see a grass fire, move to a safe place and call 999 immediately - don’t try and tackle it yourself.”