Clifton Suspension Bridge to close for installation of new ‘card only’ toll barriers

The new cashless system starts on July 4

Clifton Suspension Bridge will close to traffic in order to install new toll barriers as it prepares to introduce card-only payments next month.

The bridge will be closed to traffic and cyclists during off-peak hours on July 4, from 9.30am to 3.30pm. A diversion route will be signed using Bridge Valley Road, Brunel Way and Beggar Bush Lane.

From 3.30pm on July 4 to 8pm on July 5, there will only be one lane operational in each direction which may cause some delays.

Motorists are advised to allow extra time for travel. The Trust will also use this opportunity to carry out maintenance works. This will include repairs to the stonework on the Grade 1-listed toll house and inspection work on the bridge.

Bridge Master Trish Johnson said: “Our state-of-the-art new toll system will make it quicker and easier for drivers to cross the bridge and reflects the move to card-only for many services since the pandemic.

“This change is part of major programme of repairs and maintenance to the bridge over the last few years to make sure this iconic bridge remains fit for the future.”

During the bridge closure, pedestrians will still be able to use the bridge, using one of the footways but there will be no access for vehicles, and cycling will be prohibited. Cyclists may dismount and walk across the bridge, but due to the narrow footways, are requested to avoid using the bridge if possible.

Trish Johnson added: “Clifton Suspension Bridge Trust wishes to apologise for the inconvenience which this closure will cause. We will still be operating with one lane open in peak hours but delays may be expected.”

Following the move to card only payments from July 4, the toll will remain at £1 which can be paid by debit or credit card, bridge card or by Samsung, Google or Apple Pay.

If users are unable to pay by card, a bridge card can be purchased from Clifton Suspension Bridge at This can be topped up online or by contacting the office.

Related topics: