Video shows dramatic moment police catch burglars after ditching stolen BMW to hide in wooded area

The men were discovered by a police dog after fleeing a stolen BMW

Avon and Somerset Police has released a video showing the dramatic moments two men were apprehended following a 120mph car chase that led them to ditch their vehicle and flee through a wooded area.

An hours-long manhunt ensued before officers found Kyle Marshall, 19 and of no fixed address, and Finley Phillips, 18 of Sherrin Way, Bishopsworth. The pair both pleaded guilty to several charges at Bristol Crown Court last week (January 19).

Avon and Somerset Police officers were alerted to a BMW X1 bearing suspected false licence plates, which was later found to be true, leaving the force area for neighbouring Wiltshire. The service’s Road Policing Unit believed the car to be stolen so put together a plan to stop the vehicle once it reentered its jurisdiction.

At around 3.45am, the car was spotted on the A36 in Farleigh Hungerford and failed to stop as it reached speeds of more than 120mph. Following a short car chase, a tactical stinger was deployed and blew out the BMW’s four tires. The driver and passengers then made off on foot into fields and thick woodland where they were pursued by officers and a dog unit.

After searching for several hours, Police Dog Athos and his handler located the three offenders who were then detained. When searching the BMW, a small KTM motorbike and other items stolen from a non-dwelling burglary had been recovered. This burglary had occurred in Wiltshire just before the vehicle returned to the Avon and Somerset force area. The vehicle was also confirmed as stolen with its keys taken from a burglary in Herefordshire.

In court, Marshall pleaded guilty to non-dwelling burglary, dwelling burglary, theft from and of a motor vehicle, aggravated vehicle taking without consent (dangerous driving and original taker) and driving offences.

Phillips pleaded guilty to non-dwelling burglary and aggravated vehicle taking without consent (passenger). Marshall was sentenced to three years and nine months, and Phillips was handed one year and nine months in prison.

A 17-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was also charged with dwelling burglary, non-dwelling burglary and aggravated vehicle taking without consent (passenger), appeared in Yeovil Youth Court at the end of last year and was handed a youth order.