We visit the unspoilt moor near Bristol with grazing cattle, horses and beautiful views

A section of Frenchay Moor, the Tuckett Field, is named after a famous local family

Located in the historic village of Frenchay, the 1.63 acres of land covering Frenchay Moor is one of the most beautiful and unspoilt areas in Bristol, is owned by National Trust and is located near Frenchay Common.

A section of Frenchay Moor, the Tuckett Field, is named after the Tuckett family who played an important role in the history of Frenchay.

Francis Tuckett (1803-1868) owned this open space and replaced the hedge with a sunken wall and ditch, known as a ha-ha, to open up the magnificent vista across to the woods on the other side of the river Frome.

His son, Francis Fox Tuckett (1834-1913) left the saddleback field, as it was then known, to the people of Frenchay for their enjoyment in perpetuity.

Frenchay Moor is occasionally occupied by grazing cattle and is connected to the Frome Valley Walkway, an 18-mile-long path which follows the River Frome between the River Avon in Bristol and the Cotswold Hills in South Gloucestershire, meaning that a walk can easily be extended to other fields and nature reserves.

The nearby Frenchay Common was home to the Frenchay Cricket Club from 1846 to 1950, and the Grace family were closely connected with the Club.

Nowadays the Common is host to the annual Frenchay Flower Show, the Cricket Day and, during the season, it is also a host for junior football teams. It is also used by Frenchay Primary School during their annual Sports Day but the activities do not intrude on other informal uses of the Common by the local community.

Here are 28 photos from our walk from Frenchay Common to Frenchay Moor:

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.